Friday, January 30, 2009

Burst her Bubble?


QUESTION:
Dear PopShrink,
My girlfriend is amazing and gorgeous, but she has a dream to be a famous actress and the truth is, she can't act! She's been in dozens of plays but most of them have been serious flops. Its getting to the point where our friends try to avoid going to her plays because they don't want to lie about telling her their opinions. How can I be a supportive and loving boyfriend while still helping her face the facts?


ANSWER:

First off, I gotta ask you, what makes you think that your opinion is a "fact"? True that you seem to have had some feedback from people you trust, but the "fact" is, they are still just opinions. I do believe that you have your girlfriend's best interest at heart, so maybe you are trying to protect her from making a fool of herself? Being a fan of American Idol, I know I have thought many times" WHY didn't anyone tell this person they can NOT sing!?" At the same time I also have a lot of respect for someone who goes after their dreams
. There are plenty of minimally talented actors out there who are on popular TV shows (I will refrain from naming names, for now) and movies and on the flip side, there are a lot of unemployed highly gifted actors. I believe the ones who get the gigs have the qualities that your girlfriend seems to have: looks, drive and tenacity. I'm sure even if she's as bad as you say she is, she would still be the best actor on a "reality" show like "The Hills" or "The City"

No comments: