Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dating Dramas


QUESTION:
Dear Pop Shrink,
I'm noticing a pattern with my buddy's dating habits and I'm not sure what I should do about it. He's dated a few women now who seem really cool with him, and get along well with his friends, but who have some deep issues and bizarre behavior that comes out eventually. Like some scary "Fatal Attraction" stuff. And then he's dated some women who are really great, but when it gets too good, he does something to mess it up. He can't seem to get it right. Should I confront him? Or just ride it out and be there for him?
ANSWER:
Is your friend's name Jared? Because seriously, there is a very logical reason why my friend and I were burning that voodoo doll that sort of resembled him. I swear!
Anyway, its always interesting to analyze a friend's dating habits and see the patterns that they have. "Judge not, lest ye be judged" might be an honorable motto to live by, but its no fun. Give me a glass of wine and a conversation about my friends' dating dilemmas and its pure entertainment. As far as your friend is concerned, it sounds like he luvs him some drama. Some people actually LIKE when their romantic interests show so much passion for them that they forfeit the normal boundaries of "healthy" dating patterns. Aside from the need to be needed and loved in a passionate-but-pyscho way, some people might also fear commitment, and being in these types of relationships also prevents them from staying in them too long. I mean, seriously, does any one really believe that Flavor Flav or Brett Michaels are looking for LOVE and COMMITMENT on a show mostly filled with borderline-personality-attention-hungry-narcissists? As a friend, you can try to talk to him about what he wants in a partner and in a relationship, but if you are not big on talking about emotions, just serve as a role model. That is, if you yourself are not a candidate to have your own Rock-of-Love show.

No comments: