Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cowardly Co-worker's Crush

QUESTION:

Dear Pop Shrink,
I have a crush on my co worker but I don't know if she feels the same way. She's so hot that I stare at her a lot and I think I have caught her staring at me. I try to time it so we are walking in the office at the same time and I also make it a point to be in the break room whenever she's in there too. A buddy of mine knows her well and has told me she's pretty cool, so I do kinda know a lot about her. The problem is, we have not actually had a conversation. How can I get her to agree to go out with me without seeming too eager and stalker-y?

ANSWER:
I would like to officially say that women don't like a stalker, in fact Stalkers are bad! But on a lighter note, we do like it when people we also secretly like, are so sublimely smitten that they would risk everything for us. They would go against their natural demonic urges to be near us. They would save us from potential death from a car crash. They would even fight another vampire to the death to save us (sigh!)... but I digress. I would definitely say that before you become more of a scary stalker than an besotted blood-sucker (like Edward Cullen from Twilight), you get a better sense of whether the object of your affections has any interest in you. Test the waters by starting a conversation about the weather or offering her an apple (okay maybe that only works in Twlight) but do start talking to the girl. After a few conversations let it be known that you have an extra concert ticket or would like to check out a new restaurant and would she be interested? While we like to be swept off our feet, we also have to be interested. And never underestimate confidence. Good Luck!

No comments: