Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Icky-Ex-Issues

QUESTION:
Dear Pop Shrink:
I broke up with a boyfriend almost 4 months ago. Besides the fact that it was long distance, I was more challenged by how he was sometimes mean-spirited, especially when he was drinking. After more time together, I also found him to be immature. Although he didn't take the break up very well, he left me alone for the most part, with the exception of a few emails. I hadn't heard from him for some time, when out of the blue, he emailed me saying something to the effect of "not sure if you check this email, but I wanted you to know that if we got back together, I would be willing to move (to my state--he lives in another country)." When I didn't respond to him (I felt I made it clear why I broke up with him and it had little to do with distance), he replied "you suck, you're a loser and a waste of time." Should I even reply? I'm very irritated but don't want to encourage stalking behavior.

ANSWER:
Dear Icky-Ex-Issues :
As I've addressed before, stalkers and people who abuse their power are a serious matter, but unfortunately no matter who you are, you can be vulnerable to this stuff. This ex sounds a lot like "Cartman" from South Park, (is your ex an offensive chubster with a strong disdain for Jews, Hippies and Ginger Kids?) someone who has no boundaries and uses his powers for no good. In many episodes he tortures poor Kyle, including creating a song and dance about his mom "Kyle's Mom is a Big Fat Bi$#D!" just because he is Jewish. Ahhh, you are thinking, "but this guy was my BOYFRIEND and Cartman and Kyle are just FRENEMIES" And yet there IS some kind of Love-Hate bromance thing going on as Cartman shows he also has a need/want to be around Kyle. Many episodes revolve around Cartman doing something to torture Kyle, but he can not deal with the thought of being ignored by him. The best revenge on Cartman was when Kyle and the rest of the gang pretend he doesn't exist. Evil, like Cartman, can not live if you don't give it energy. Hang out with your closest friends and fam, and find a partner who is supportive and respectful of your feelings. And definitely ignore your-own-private-Cartman. He'll wise up soon enough and move on (probably to torture poor Butters)

No comments: